Frequently Asked Questions
Below, you find the frequently asked questions about Siwpas and their answers.
I did not find an answer. What can I do?
If you have not found your questions' answer, please send your question to our form Siwpas Form
What is Siwpas?
Siwpas (pronounced as Simple Web Profile Application Server) is a lightweight Java application server platform for developing enterprise quality Java™ Platform, Enterprise Edition 6 (Java EE 6) web applications. Siwpas integrates Apache Software Foundation Java EE 6 related projects for providing a Java EE Web Profile compatible runtime platform.
Why use Siwpas?
Good question :)
Nowadays, a huge number of application developers and enterprise companies want to use lightweight application servers for deploying and running their web applications. They do not want to use heavyweight Java EE Servers that are fully compliant with Java EE Specifications. They want to manage light weight, cloud environment friendly servers. Nonetheless, they also need more technology stack for implementing their web based applications, such as "JPA, JSF, JTA , EJB etc."
Moreover, most of them deploy their critical enterprise web applications into the Apache Tomcat in their production systems. Siwpas is aimed at providing a lightweight application server runtime based on Apache Tomcat 7. It also fills web applications technology requirements via ASF Java EE projects. In summary, Siwpas translates Apache Tomcat 7 into a more powerful enterprise web server.
The benefits of using Siwpas can be listed as follows:
* It has a lightweight but powerful runtime environment, * It is based on the very-well known JSP and Servlet Container, Apache Tomcat 7, * It consists of Web Profile Specification technology stack, * It consists of powerful, commerical quality ASF Java EE Projects, * It is an open source project, * It is supported by MechSoft (7x24 enterprise support), * It is light and will be always light, * It has a very cool JSF based administration console.
Why choose Siwpas as a name?
- ) Simple Web Profile Application Server
What is the meaning of log?
Fast, very fast...
What are the Siwpas editions? Which one I choose?
Siwpas has two different editions, "Community Edition" and "Enterprise Edition". Community edition of the Siwpas is licensed under LGPL v3, i.e (Lesser General Public License v3). Enterprise version of Siwpas requires to get license key. It is based on the community edition but contains cool administration console, QA tested and the most importantly, it is supported by MechSoft.
Siwpas community edition is not supported by MechSoft. It is supported only by Siwpas Community Forum. Siwpas enterprise edition is supported by the MechSoft according to the subscription plan. There are two different subscription plans for Siwpas, "Standard Support" and "Enterprise Support".
Generally, when you get subscription license, you are able to get,
* Product Updates, * Security Patches, * Hot Fixes, * Phone, Mail and Web based support, * Help Contracts, * Custom Features, * .... and more.
We recommend to use Enterprise Version in your production environment.
What is Java EE Web Profile?
Java EE Web Profile, a profile of Java EE 6 Specification that includes the web application related technologies. According to the Java EE Web Profile specification, "The Web Profile is aimed at developers of modern web applications. Aiming "modern" web applications then implies offering a reasonably complete stack, composed of standard APIs, and out-of-the-box capability to address the needs of a large class of web applications".
You can download and get more information from the Java Community Process(JCP) page of the specification. JSR 316: JavaTM Platform, Enterprise Edition 6 (Java EE 6) Specification.
Web profile contains the following technologies,
* Servlet * Java Server Pages (JSP) * Expression Language * Debugging Support for Other Languages * Standard Tag Library for JSP * Java Server Faces * Common Annotations for the Java Platform * Enterprise Java Beans Lite * Java Transaction API * Java Persistence API * Bean Validation * Managed Beans * Interceptors * Context and Dependency Injection for Java EE * Dependency Injection for Java
Is Siwpas compatible with Java EE Web Profile?
Currently Siwpas does not claim compliance with Java EE Web Profile Specification because it has not been tested with Java EE Web Profile TCK. This does not mean that Siwpas will never be certified as a Web Profile Compliance application server. In order to test Siwpas with Java EE Web Profile TCK, MechSoft has to be a licensee of Oracle and we are discussing a reasanable way to obtain this TCK. As mentioned in the above paragraphs, with the exception of Apache OpenEJB, ASF Java EE projects are TCK compliant with their respective specificiations. Apache OpenEJB has certified in Apache Geronimo application server.
Which ASF projects that Siwpas uses?
Siwpas uses ASF Java EE based projects for web profile components.
* Apache Tomcat Servlet, JSP,EL and related components * Apache MyFaces Java Server Faces component * Apache OpenEJB Siwpas EJB Lite server is powered by OpenEJB. Support for EJB 3.1 Lite and related components * Apache OpenWebBean Siwpas CDI container is powered by OpenWebBeans. Support for CDI. * Apache Bean Validation Validation component. * Apache OpenJPA™ Persistence API component.
Is there any IRC channel and community forum?
Yes, we have a both IRC channel with name siwpas and a community forum .
Installation of Siwpas
What are the MD5 file in Siwpas download locations?
These files are hash files of the downloaded Siwpas version that controls the correcteness of the dowloaded file.
How can I download Siwpas?
See  for downloading Siwpas.
How can I get Enterprise Support?
See  for getting more information.
What is Siwpas' License?
Siwpas Community Edition is licensed under LGPL. Siwpas Enterprise Edition is distributed under commercial license and it need license key.
With Siwpas Community Edition, you can
* Use Siwpas in your commerical projects, * Change Siwpas' source code but you have to provide those changes to community.
For getting Siwpas Enterprise Edition, you have to buy license key (a.k.a subscription packages). According to your subscription levels, you will able to get support from MechSoft.
How can I get more information on LGPL?
How can I get more information on Apache v2 License?
Is it possible to change Siwpas' source codes?
Absolutely YES. But you have to give your changes back to the community.
How can I download Siwpas' source code ?
Siwpas source code is located in the Siwpas Downloads page.
How can I get more information about Siwpas?
Here is the reference for getting more information about Siwpas,
* MechSoft Home Page http://www.mechsoft.com.tr * Siwpas Home Page http://siwpas.mechsoft.com.tr * Siwpas User Forum http://siwpas.mechsoft.com.tr/forum * Siwpas Bug Tracker http://siwpas.mechsoft.com.tr/bugs * Siwpas Wiki http://siwpas.mechsoft.com.tr/wiki * Siwpas Source http://siwpas.mechsoft.com.tr/downloads * Siwpas Documents http://siwpas.mechsoft.com.tr/docs * Siwpas Sales http://siwpas.mechsoft.com.tr/sales